Sunday, February 19, 2006

MIND AND PREJUDICES...

" ABANDON THE URGE TO SIMPLIFY EVERYTHING, TO LOOK FOR FORMULAS AND EASY ANSWERS, AND TO BEGIN TO THINK MULTI DIMENSIONALLY, TO GLORY IN THE MYSTERY AND PARADOXES OF LIFE, NOT TO BE DISMAYED BY THE MULTITUDE OF CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES THAT ARE INHERENT IN EACH EXPERIENCE---TO APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT LIFE IS COMPLEX . "
..............................................................
........................................................
...............................................
A thought that comes to the mind is a product of illusions, memories, idealistic and perfectionist ideas that have been inculcated through different mediums of life – school, teachers, parents, friends, society and so on. The mind puts them all or some in the memory bank. And the projections happen at different points of life. Some events are remembered for as long as a lifetime and others are forgotten for ever. And then there are times, when you may suddenly remember something after ages. And then the next day completely forget about it. What is this mind game all about? Why this permanent and temporary memory gains and loses? Does mind discriminate one event over other? On the lighter side, the working of the mind is absolutely fascinating. And so the neurobiologists still have a job. But the mind game can take an aggressive turn and be painful and tormenting.And so the growing need for psychiatrists.Thoughts that you don’t actually want to remember are the ones that tend to haunt you more often. And there are other pleasant ones too that you may still remember and cherish. Events that are embarrassing, an evening when you did something completely awkward, a meeting that turned ugly, an argument, some tormenting event, a single damaging statement that has stayed with you forever – that’s the bad side.One bad even ti still remember is again at school. I was in class 4. And I did not finish my math homework. And I was pinched by the teacher on the under side of the upper arm. I almost bruised for a week. But more than the physical pain, it’s the memory that is more painful. And more of such personal events.Then there are beautiful events as well – for instance I still remember a day when I was returning from the school, peak of summer and it was 2 in the afternoon. And I bought an orange ice-stick from a vendor outside the school. I also remember the sheet of paper I was holding when I was in class 3 & it was the first time I was going to sing in front of the whole school. It had the song “humko mann ki shakti dena..” written on it. I also remember the get together at my grandparents house. I was 7. And all the cousins and the aunts n uncles.. gathered in the hall and we all sang and danced. I distinctly remember the brass container my grandpa used to keep sweet snacks (jaangri and laddu) in. A walk to the park with him, a fight with my sister, a game of carom…I wish I would remember more of the good events and let the bad ones vanish. It is almost abusive to remember and get tormented by some of those memories. Many of those events, an event that might have been absolutely insignificant can be the starting point. The life might take a turn to good or bad. It can also give rise to the many prejudices and conditioned thoughts through the growing years. The ways of our life. So how does one live with it? Can you benefit and make it a vital experience. My take is – it’s hard. Very hard. But hopefully acheivable. But the best would be to deal with it asap. Good ones – cultivate them.. cherish them. Bad ones – deal with them. Or face them head on.

No comments: